03 May 2016

Easy butter cake recipe

I never thought I would say this... but after 2 stressful weeks, I actually felt like baking something for the kids' school break time tomorrow.
Pretty butter cake

Me, bake??? I am not a good cook, nor am I a good baker.

But I have been getting better over the years (ahem).

So, I searched the net for a recipe and found one that appeared simple enough for a noob like me. I am sorry I can't find the original recipe site to give it its due credit.

Ingredients:
250g butter
230g castor sugar (I reduced it to 219g but it was still rather sweet - depends on your sweet tooth)
4 large eggs (or 5 small ones)
250 g self raising flour
2 tsp vanilla essence
6 tbsp UHT milk
(I added half a tsp of baking powder and baking soda, also half a tsp of salt)

How
Preheat the oven to 180 Celcius.
Line an 8 inch cake tin with baking paper
Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until fluffy
Add the eggs 1 at a time, alternating with the flour and beat
Add in the vanilla essence. Beat just a little more
Gradually add in the milk and fold the mixture with a spatula
The batter should have a soft, dropping consistency
Pour batter into baking tin
Bake for 50 minutes until done.

I was pleased with the result. I have not baked a butter cake from scratch in quite a long time.

This recipe is a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment