19 December 2011

Old Andersonian Club Cafeteria

We, or rather I've, been meaning to eat here. Hubby beat me to it and sampled lunch here 2 weeks ago. So the whole family went there for lunch last Thursday, I think it was.

It's of course next to the Anderson school and very close to the D. R. Park roundabout. On a tangent, I only recently learned some history about D. R. Seenivasagam, after whom the park is named, from a book entitled "The Chinese Schools of Malaysia". He was a political activist and among those who championed the cause of preserving the teaching of the mother tongue of the ethnic minorities that make up the colourful fabric of Malaysia.

Back to food.............the cafe serves Indian banana leaf rice, altho blogger Motormouth said that it is Moghul food and banana leaf rice. He is probably more discerning than I.

It is a small little building located on a small little road that turns off from the not-so-small D.R. roundabout. There is ample parking space for about 20 cars, and grand old majestic rain trees provide wonderful shade. The ambience inside the cafeteria is relaxed and quiet. I like it! No fighting for car parking space, no fighting for tables, and it isn't hot and crowded. You can tell that the clientele here are the regulars.

We ordered 5 sets of banana leaf rice. Their dal (lentil) curry was a hit with my kids, their fish curry was alright but not sour enough for me. Their rasam (sourish soup) was nice and warm, and also slightly less sour than what I am used to (see, I love sour). Perhaps it's because it's Moghul?

They served an interesting tomoto vege dish that was tangy and sweet at the same time, a raw cucumber and onion salad, and fried cabbage. For the meats, we had their mutton, fried chicken, fish patty and sambal prawns. All went down well. I always have the cold yoghurt (tairu) to go with my rice and my kids have learned to eat it too. The tairu here is fantastic! Cold, thick, sour and rich - yummmeeee!

(picture courtesy from http://www.j2kfm.com/banana-leaf-rice-old-andersonian-cafeteria-ipoh/)

2 comments: