11 August 2009

Cake houses

There are several cake houses in Ipoh. Of course you will see the chain-franchise types like King's, La Manila, Secret Recipe and Baskin Robbins. But I tried 2 family-run bakeries in Ipoh Garden.

The first was Seasons Cake House, which sits along the same row of shop houses in Ipoh Garden as 7 Eleven. The first time, we bought a Power Rangers 3-D helmet cake for my boy. Hmm, can't say that the helmet turned out quite as I would have imagined. The second time this year, we bought a Thomas Tank cake for my son. The rectangular picture was cute enough but for both cakes, much too sweet.

Then later this year for my girl's birthday, I decided to try a different cake house. It sits on the same row as Maybank in Ipoh Garden and is called Yohan, about 2 doors away from KFC. I ordered girls' perennial favourite icon, Barbie, as the theme for the cake. It turned out beautifully and everyone who came for dinner that night ooh and aahed at the cake. And the orange sponge cake was light, tasty and just right in terms of the texture of the cream as well as sweetness. Of course the birthday girl got to keep the Barbie in the cake too!

My choice would be Yohan in Ipoh Garden.

9 comments:

  1. Maybe you could take up cake decorating as a new skill. It's fun and rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound like a real pastry chef, Charmaine. Don't think I'm gifted like you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you heard of JJ cakes at Jalan Kampar? This place is famous for it's swiss rolls. Many food blogs have reviewed JJ swiss rolls. Besides swiss rolls, they do bake cakes to order too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the suggestion, Peng! I will look for JJ. Which end or side of Jalan Kampar?

    ReplyDelete
  5. JJ cakes is next to a hotel, I think it's Fairmount, right at the roundabout (after the MGS school) and it's next to Honda showroom..
    I hope you will be able to locate it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will definitely look for JJ Cakes. Thanks again...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so hard to find bakeries in Ipoh except Yohan :) I've never seen King's, Secret Recipes & Baskin robbins. Thanks for posting this. Will know where to go next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mommy to Chumsy, I think there is a King's confectionary on the ground floor at Tesco in Ipoh Garden East.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, as for Secret Recipe, there is one in Ipoh Garden along the Public Bank row and also in Kinta City.

    ReplyDelete