17 June 2013

Koh Samui Thai Restaurant in Ipoh

I am sorry to have to say at the outset that our meal in this restaurant was the worst Thai food I have ever had.

I read up some reviews online just now and was surprised that people like the food here. Guess they must have their unique set of customers otherwise Koh Samui can't have 2 outlets in Ipoh, one near Kinta City and the other along Jalan Ekram.

What was wrong with the food? Plenty.

Pineapple fried rice.

Never mind that it was not served in a hollowed-out pineapple. The rice was damp and sticky, and there was no fragrance at all. It was cold.

Tom Yam Goong
Completely disappointing because it was just sour and salty. All the wonderful spicy aroma and taste one would expect from a tom yam were absent. I could not detect any lemon grass or kaffir lime leaves. It was a flat soup. You could whip up a tastier tom yam at home from a bottle.

Green curry (beef)
It was green and quite rich in coconut milk. It was also too sweet. And you have to hunt for the small pieces of meat.

Steamed fish
From the description in the menu, my husband was hoping for the steamed fish he had in Thailand that was served in an amazingly delicious and fragrant broth. The fish we had was nothing like that. It did have a lot of broth, but it was more like Teo Chew-style steamed fish, with salted mustard and sour plum.

Glass noodles salad with seafood
This starter was a pass although hubby thought it was too sour.

Pandan chicken
This was the only saving grace of the entire meal. Oh, and they didn't have thab thim krob.

Needless to say, this is the first and last time that we will be eating at Koh Samui. If you haven't been there, you haven't missed out on anything.

There must be a better Thai restaurant in Ipoh.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. around this Koh Samui area, or along the same road as RHB bank is a Chinese Muslim makan shop (Sharin Low..). I recommend eating there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Huba huba! Yes my husband knows the place you mentioned. He said we should try too! Thanks...

      Delete
  3. Cinderella K, I'm sorry you're experiencing some problems with my blog. But I do not even see your comment here. I have not been informed of any other similar problems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am thankful to this blog giving unique and helpful knowledge about this topic, I read your blog now share great information here. This blog increse my knowledge source .
    เห็ดหลินจือแดงสกัด

    ReplyDelete