09 October 2009

Hokkien Mee (Tai Lok Meen)

I took my kids out to lunch in Ipoh Garden South (I know, it's a school day) because yesterday while buying herbs at Soong Kong, I spied 2 ladies eating the black, thick noodles that I love so much at the Sentosa Ria coffee shop next door.

I grew up eating Hokkien Mee or Tai Lok Meen (big fat noodles) in PJ and I so miss Hokkien Mee; however, it is not an Ipoh dish, so there is a dearth of places that sell it here. And even those that do, don't match up.

As I discovered today. It looks good enough, but there was just no "fire" taste to the dish; the black sauce used failed to deliver the salty-sweet taste that is trademark to a good Hokkien Mee; and the fried pieces of lard were not numerous enough nor crispy enough. I took away a packet of the Hokkien Mee for hubby and he too said, "fail".

There is one other place that sells a kinda passable Hokkien Mee - an old uncle and wife who run a stall in a coffee shop (sorry I can't remember the name) opposite Yum Yum Restaurant on Persiaran Greenhill.

Sigh.....I would be glad to find a good Hokkien Mee in Ipoh.

2 comments:

  1. Hai girl, Kindly go to Medan Ipoh and look for a cafe by the name of Zhong Wan, and formally was Yee Soon and tried the KL hokkien mee over there and let's comment on this blog. So far, I have been, this is the best hokkien mee (big mee) I have ever taken In Ipoh and the taste really like Kl hokkien tai look meen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jaclyn, thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out and post my experience here. Stay tuned.....

    ReplyDelete