26 July 2011

Looking for "Yau Char Kwai" in Ipoh

"Mommy, we are the yau char kwai hunters!" my boy said to me in the car.

There we were, myself, my son, my daughter and my maid, driving around Ipoh at about 1730, looking for yau char kwai. We had prepared bak kut teh (pork ribs in herbal soup) for dinner, and as you might know, it goes great with yau char kwai (yiu char kwei, or yau tiu, depending on your dialect - deep fried pieces of bread-like sticks).

But alas, we found nothing in Ipoh Garden, Canning Garden or Ipoh Garden South. I remember well how easy it was to get freshly fried yau char kwai, hum chin peng, chin-dui etc in PJ in the evenings - there is a stall selling it in the Sentosa town centre of Section 17, PJ.

After a fruitless search, we ended up buying keropok lekor from one of the multitude of hawkers at the Polo Grounds (Taman Rekreasi Sultan Abdul Aziz). Not quite the right accompaniment for bak kut teh, but at least we enjoyed it!

Now I really need to find a yau char kwai vendor in Ipoh who sells fresh yau char kwai in the evenings.

Picture courtesy of http://www.mykitchensnippets.com/2010/07/chinese-crullersyau-char-kwai.html

No comments:

Post a Comment