22 May 2013

Surcharge in your TNB Bill

I admit that I noticed, then forgot about, the surcharge in my electricity bills.

Until the issue was played up in the social media. So I took a look at my bill again, and there it was, printed at the bottom of the bill stating, Kumpulan Wang Tenaga Boleh Baharu (Renewable Energy Fund).

I called TNB's Careline (why is it called care line?? This isn't a hospital service), and I was not disappointed that TNB had seen fit to equip their staff with the appropriate standard response, which goes something like this:
"Caj ini cuma dikutip oleh TNB dan disalurkan kepada SEDA (Sustainable Energy Development Authority). Caj ini diperkenalkan sejak Disember 2011. Pengguna domestik yang tahap penggunaan elektriknya di bawah 300kwh atau RM 77.00 dikecualikan daripada membayar caj ini."


Of course I then went online to SEDA's website. Yes, yes, it is all about  renewable energy.

I had a read of their FAQs and the only memorable thing I took away from it was this:
The FiT System is not financed by the government. Instead it is financed by electricity consumers themselves who contribute one percent (1%) of their total electricity bill towards a Renewable Energy Fund. However, domestic customers who consume 300 units of electricity or less each month will not have their tariffs raised to pay to the Renewable Energy Fund.

So, we pay. Again.

And the clarifying statements that came from TNB and SEDA following awareness of the issue being discussed on social networks - SEDA clarifies on 1% surcharge and 1% charge not aimed at unwary clients

My bill exceeds the FOC limit. Let's see, if I don't want to pay this surcharge, I will have to:
  • turn off my lights and fans after 830pm
  • stop using air-cons
  • change to boiling water on my gas cooker rather than use the electric kettle
  • replace my auto boil-keep warm thermopot with the traditional thermos flask   
I guess that's how things work. 

If you don't want to pay toll, use the old trunk roads. If you don't want to use the badly-maintained public toilets that require a fee should you choose to ease yourself inside the wet, stinking environment of a so-called toilet with the cleaners sitting around watching you, go to the bushes. If you don't want to pay a huge water bill, construct your own rain water harvesting system. 

And if you don't want to pay taxes, don't work?

No comments:

Post a Comment