03 April 2018

Malay Proverb "Buruk Siku"

Malaysians who studied in national schools would probably have heard of the proverb "buruk siku".

Literally, the proverb may be translated into "bad elbow". It refers to someone who gives something to someone, then asks for the item to be returned.

Extending your elbow, then retracting it. Bad elbow. Get it?

As anyone with grace and manners would know, you do not give something and then ask for it back. Perhaps young lovers who break up might do it. One enraged and temporarily insane ex partner would demand that every gift he or she had ever given to the other partner be returned once the relationship ended.

But a normal, well brought up person with a grain of intelligence and dignity would not do such a thing.

I am sad that a family member  personifies "buruk siku" . Actually, let's be more precise. It's an in-law.

I was flabbergasted, gobsmacked, even furious that she could ask for something back. But I shouldn't be.

She has a penchant for keeping things - until they rot, disintegrate and fall apart from neglect and disuse. But if you ask for the item as it would be put to good use, you either get the item then have to return it because she suddenly develops a passion to use it, or be rejected outright. The latter would be more gracious.

It simply demonstrates a mean spirit: that she would rather the item sit and rot in her house than to benefit others. But yet she preaches about charity and compassion. And she seeks spiritual enlightenment and is a vegetarian. What's that word? Oh, yes. HYPOCRITE.

I do apologise for going AWOL only to post my first entry in years and a rant, at that.

Thank goodness for blogs. I feel better already.

I'll be back with a better post. I promise.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, please update more in your blog. I really enjoy the stuff you wrote. I also sure that your children will enjoy reading it next time about your journey from kl to ipoh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jessica! Thanks for reading my musings here.

    What would you like to read about? It can't be about my ranting all the time LOL.

    I will post more...

    ReplyDelete