11 May 2018

Another Malaysian in Australia talking about Malaysia

I am on a roll about Malaysians residing in Australia.

Forgive me but one must write when the muse visits.

I find it amusing and hypocritical of Malaysians residing abroad commenting passionately and criticizing whatever developments that take place back here in beautiful Malaysia, their former homeland.

More disturbing are those Malaysians living abroad who talk a lot about Malaysian politics and happenings but do not vote!

That is a unique breed. don't you think?

Just today, a Malaysian friend residing Down Under (let's call him Dun) criticized the newly elected government of Pakatan Harapan for focusing only on the country's budget and fiscal concerns in its first 100 days fiscal reforms.

The criticism

"It's all about the money money money! I'm not sure that that is really the only area that the 100 days should be focused upon. But then, it's all about the money. I think that that was BN's priority also. This only fuels my skepticism and my fears. I so so so hope that I'm wrong.
No one is saying that they are not important. They are. But if 100 days is all about money ....This is what BN was about. That's not the Malaysia that so many people are looking for.I'm just not celebrating yet about who they are especially when they talk about all that we were against. Society is not all about money. I'm saying that we need to press and maintain the goal of what we want."

Freedom to express

Sure, of course.

Even when you are not IN Malaysia. Even IF you might not have even voted in the Mother and Father of All Malaysian Elections that finally brought the CHANGE that Malaysians wanted.

Sure, go ahead. Express yourself, Dun. Give us your criticism and counsel. Dun.

I am free to express what I think too. I have no political or economic or fiscal counsel to give.

All I can and wish to say is that I am PROUD change has come to Malaysia. It has been a long 6 decades of single-party rule in Malaysia. Leaders had become complacent and comfortable. A very dangerous combination.

Living costs have sky rocketed. The Ringgit is dismal. Petrol pump prices fluctuate every week. The GST was introduced at 6%. More jobs are needed but not generated. Affordable housing is needed, was promised but not delivered by the now defeated BN ruling coalition.Graduates drive GRAB on weekends.

Who knows the true situation of the country's coffers except the newly elected government? It must not be in a very good state given the shocking excesses of the fallen National Front and the still unresolved 1MDB mega scandal and other financial scandals in the last decade.

I am willing to give our newly elected government time to fix stuff. And there's a lot of stuff to fix. 60 years' worth.


I say to Dun.... a country runs on money and not just patriotism and fresh air, essential as they are.

I'm not even sure of your nationality anymore.

Dun, reserve your comments will you? Maybe until day 101 of the new administration, at the soonest.

Australia is lucky to have you.














No comments:

Post a Comment