17 November 2015

Bone broth or is it collagen soup?

OK. Is this fact or fad?

Sure, any home made, home brewed, home boiled stuff is good. I believe that. I'm sure you do too.

But it seems in the last couple of years, bone broth is touted to contain lots of minerals and amino acids that may help us look younger, feel younger all on account of the collagen potential.

So much so that there are collagen soup restaurants and take-aways.

So, after a very brief read-through on the net and on FB, I went to the market early, got my stuff and made myself a batch of bone broth.

My bone broth recipe
2 pork knuckles
2 chicken carcasses
1kg of chicken feet
5litres of water

Place everything into a large pot and let it boil on high for 10-15 minutes then lower it to a simmer for about 6 hours.

Remove all bones and allow broth to cool.

I then spooned it into containers and placed into the fridge, waiting anxiously for it to gell. I read that only if the broth gells, have you got it right as the broth then contains enough of the nutrients to become jello.

Well, I'm happy to report that my broth gelled wonderfully. Doesn't it look like a piece of smooth raw fish?

Note: I was told that 6 hours is not long enough to leach out the calcium from the bones. The person who told me this also said that the bones should be brittle and can be broken with a fork by the end of the process - well, my bones were falling apart! Then someone else said that a chef said it's utter nonsense, as one should only boil for 1/2 hour otherwise all the nutrients are destroyed. (I don't believe that chef). Yet someone said you should boil for 24 hours. Oh, and another person said the bones should be presoaked in apple cider vinegar first.

Conclusion: You gotta decide for yourself. But for me, heck I'm not gonna boil for 24 hours. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment