30 June 2016

Delicious Penang Acar Recipe (nyonya spicy mixed vegetable pickles)

I only post recipes that work, and taste like the real thing. Because this blog is for my own reference as well as for yours.

And for my kids, too. When they grow up.

My son said, "Mom if I wanna eat the dishes you cook for me as a kid, I'll ask my wife to go to you for lessons."

I said, "Son, just ask your wife to read my blog." Isn't that simpler, and far more pleasant without the potential for any conflict?

Vegetables
600g cucumber, keep the skin on and slice length-wise into inch-long pieces
300 g cabbage, cut into large pieces
100g carrot, skin peeled and cut lengthwise like the cucumber
200 g long beans, cut lengthwise
A handful finely chopped kefir lime leaves (daun limau purut)
Salt and sugar to taste
100g ground, roasted peanuts
5 tbsps roasted sesame seeds (as much or as little as you like)


Spice paste (to blend)
10 shallots
18-20 fresh red chillies (discard seeds) (adjust to your spice level)
1 inch fresh turmeric or turmeric powder
5 candlenuts

To add into the work when frying 
5 tbsp oil
2 stalks lemon grass (you can add this whole, and bruised into the wok. Need not blend)
80ml rice vinegar or tamarind juice (large ball of tamarind pulp, soak in water then squeeze out the juice)
Water

How
Prepare the vegetables.
Blend the spice paste.
Heat up the wok with oil and fry the spice paste and lemon grass till aromatic.

Add vinegar or tamarind juice. Let boil, then add salt and sugar to taste.
Add all vegetables into the wok and turn off fire immediately. Add ground peanuts and stir everything well.
Top with sesame seeds when serving. 
Dish out, let cool and serve.
Or, keep in refrigerator and serve the next day.
Keeps well in fridge for several days.


No comments:

Post a Comment