31 May 2018

The Passing of a Friend

Youth made everything seem possible.

Youth gave strength, energy, good health, optimism, fearlessness, courage, and an endless timeline to fool around and also to achieve dreams, for those who had tangible dreams.

Science and medicine have given so many people a longer life span.

The risk of dying from disease or childbirth in places with good medical facilities and access to jobs, clean water and food, has fallen greatly from the era of my grandparents in the early 1900s.

My maternal grandma died shortly after giving birth to my aunt and my paternal grandpa died while still in his prime. I never met them.

That was in the past.

It is with great sadness that I write this in remembrance of my friend William Gan, who was called to be with the Lord on the weekend of 27 May 2018. His passing was sudden and  unexpected. He was far too young to go. Friends and family alike are in shock and disbelief.

I met William in Monash University, Melbourne. He was my senior. We both stayed at the Halls of Residences. The Halls is a place students call home during their time at university and is also a place where friendships are forged and lasting memories are made.

William was always kind and cheerful. He was encouraging if you were down, and reassuring when you were in doubt. He was at once a friend and an older brother. Always calm and sensible.

I remember William was one who took health and exercise seriously. He worked out at the gym diligently, and had a good physique to show for his hours of exercise.

Upon our respective graduations, we returned home to our motherland, Malaysia. Life began. Work. Earning your keep. Growing your career. Family life.

I caught up with William several times over the years but have not seen him for the last 10 years. Not since my family relocated to Ipoh. Thanks to FB, our friendship continued online.

Rest in peace, William. You have left so suddenly and too soon.

You are cherished, as so many friends have expressed their heartfelt memories of you.

May your parents and siblings and other family members draw strength from, and be comforted by, God and each other in this difficult time when they will have to say goodbye to you.

Goodbye, my friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment